Friday, March 6, 2015
Know what would be the worst board game ever? Me preparing to garden:
1. I need potting soil but I want it on sale *wait until next week*
2. I need my starter pots from the garage but it snowed today *wait 3 days*
3. I need to gather my containers and seeds in one spot *took about a week*
4. This is going to be messy, I need gloves from garage *wait 2-3 days*
5. My gloves are dirty from 2014 gardening, I need to wash and air dry them *wait 1 day*
6. I should get Miracle Gro from the garage to add to my potting mix *wait 2-3 days*
7. I just saw a video about using the insides of a diaper to water plants, I need one of my niece's diapers *wait a week*
8. Screw up *wait again*
So the internet insists the insides of a diaper are filled with crystals which "gel up" when wet and help break up soil/maintain waterred plants/park my car.
The videos all start with someone holding a regular baby diaper, dumping 4-5 cups of water into it and then tearing it apart to access the gel. I figured I would improve on this technique by first cutting off the excess parts which would not hold gel anyway.
So far so good.
Then disdain a measuring cup and BLAST the cold water faucet!
1. That's more than 4-5 cups of water
2. Cold water is cold
Disposable diapers are cheap for their incredible construction. There were several layers of thin cloth with a little gel between them.
Paydirt in the very last layer. Most of the gel was here!
Can you see the gel in the top left corner? Ignore the cotton fibers - the internet says they are biodegradable although I can pick them out if I want. That water is cold, I don't want.
I only had one diaper so I wanted to get the most amount of gel from it. I did this be removing cloth layers and then squeezing the gel off and wishing I'd used warm water instead.
So obviously I used way too much water and can't pour it out so I will just let it evaporate. I am doing this in the basement, which is about 60 degrees so I figure I will be ready to add soil to the mix in about ....2-3 weeks.
If my family depended on me for food gathering we'd have to become strict carnivores.