Saturday, January 24, 2009

Passport Cards - Cuter Alternative to the real thing

New Passport CardsI went to Mexico last summer. We took the train from San Francisco down to the border and then walked over. That night we reversed our trip, passport in hand and didn't even get it stamped!

Totally anti-climatic :P

Beginning in June 2009, US citizens may get Passport Cards, which look like my Mom's Residence Card from the late 70s. They are "the size of a credit card or driver's license, and has a photo and identification information printed on it, like a driver's license. It also contains a chip with a unique number that allows border officials to instantly retrieve your data from a government database." Source

They're valid for 10 years and cost $45. If you already have a passport getting the card is just $20. Since the card can't be used for air travel their target audience is people who drive over the border often. Passports gets ragged if handled often.

For more info or to order a card: